History of JohorWritten on 13/05/2013 10:14:41
The origin of the word Johor derived from the Arabic word “Jauhar” meaning “Precious Jewel”. Arabic influences are very obvious where the Arab traders had come here to do spice trade, which was once very well known. Johor was also known as The End Land or “Gangganu” by the Siamese, which means “precious stones”.
The opening of the State of Johor began in the early 16th century when Melaka was conquered by the Portuguese. Sultan Mahmud Syah, who was last heir to the Melaka throne had escaped and opened the Johor Government. At that time, Johor had expanded its empire until Riau.
The history of modern Johor began under the reign of Sultan Abu Bakar. The accession of His Royal Highness as the Sultan was in 1866 and held the title “Seri Maharaja Johor”. Sultan Abu Bakar introduced the Johor Constitution, which subsequently brought changes in the Johor State administration and it became more efficient. The transfer of the Government’s administrative centre in Teluk Belanga to Tanjung Puteri in 1841 gave positive impact to Johor, especially, in terms of development. The construction of government buildings, police stations, mosques, Court and Grand Palace clearly proved that Sultan Abu Bakar deserved to be called the “Father Of Development Of Johor”.
Now, Johor, which is bordered by Melaka, Pahang and Singapore; is one of the fast developing and advanced states in Malaysia.This page has been read 39897 times